Wednesday 27 May 2015

The daily bake: sacher torte!

I made a sacher torte!

For those of you who don't know what this is, here is a definition courtesy of Wikipedia:
"Sachertorte is a specific type of chocolate cake, or torte, invented by Austrian Franz Sacher in 1832 for Prince Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria. It is one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialties"

But what ACTUALLY is it?
"The cake consists of a dense chocolate cake meringue based with a thin layer of apricot jam on top, coated in dark chocolate icing on the top and sides. It is traditionally served with unsweetened whipped cream." 

Anyway. I made one. It's one of those recipes that's meant to be really hard, in fact it was a technical challenge on bakeoff a couple of years ago. So I was rather surprised when my one actually turned out really good.


I was worried because the cake gets its texture from the whipped eggs, so if you knock the air out when folding those in you end up with a TOO DENSE cake. I'm not bad at folding so it went okay. FYI, the mixture tastes very nice also.

We ate it at the Austrian themed Eurovision party. Without whipped cream though unfortunately.


Beckoi cut the cake because I didn't wan to kill my baby

Ready to eat OM NOM NOM

Proof that it was actually good!

Really I have Mary Berry to thank, because it was her recipe that guided me to delicious cakey success!


No comments:

Post a Comment