Thursday 24 October 2013

fear

Apparently we're only born afraid of two things: loud noises and falling. 

Well I'm afraid of loads of things.

I had a conversation with someone the other day in which they suggested I do something that actually makes me really nervous, and I said so. I said "that sounds really scary though" and their response was "it's not scary at all, you just do a, b and c and that's it". Still sounded scary to me. The other person just kept insisting it wasn't scary at all. And actually I wound up feeling silly AND scared because of it. Now I really think about it, I wish they had said something like "well we have to do things we find scary in order to move forward". Then I wouldn't have felt silly, in fact I think it would've made me LESS scared because by having the fear acknowledged reminds me that other people feel fear too, and that it's okay. I'm always reassured when I'm reminded that I only feel scared because I am human, not because I'm silly. Fear is not silly, it's there for a reason. 

Fear is learned. No one is ever silly for being afraid of anything. It's just a reaction to something that's happened, be it big or small. An event may seem really insignificant to everyone else, but could have a huge effect on one person. We're all scared of different things for different reasons, and that's okay.

I think anyone who says they're not afraid is lying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment